When you think of a billion-dollar tech company, you probably imagine rooms full of monitors with dashboards and non-stop data streams.
Well, after talking to Hippo – a certified unicorn and newly minted giant in the insurance industry – we realized this couldn’t be further from the truth.
His insights about what actually matters to him were amazing for how simple, focused and – brilliant – they are.
A great conversation on what’s important to a company re-writing the rules of insurance, Mike Gordon is by far one of the most thoughtful-yet-pragmatic minds we’ve had on yet.
Episode Highlights Include:
- (1:56) From West Point to VP of Engineering
- (5:22) Best thing about metrics is “Retiring dumb stuff”
- (14:32) Reducing ‘extreme face time’
- (19:23) Burnup charts vs Burndown charts
- (23:56) The two most important questions
- (35:24) Mike’s four ‘Golden Metrics’
Engineering Insights before anyone else….
The Weekly Interruption is a newsletter designed for engineering leaders, by engineering leaders. We get it. You’re busy. So are we. That’s why our newsletter is light, informative and oftentimes irreverent. No BS or fluff. Each week we deliver actionable advice to help make you – whether you’re a CTO, VP of Engineering, team lead or IC – a better leader.